Revenge of the Pig Children
Revenge of the Pig Children
An original thread from the Hivemind Mailing list archives, originally appeared on the list and the old wiki and has been restored to former glory on the new wiki.
- It's not a new idea, but it's interesting to see it being exploited
- And another technology that's finally "getting there"...
- This ink web site. What a fantastic presentation they offer!
- It didn't take long to load and played through smoothly.
- Yes please!
- Oh by the way, has anyone been keeping up with the swoppable genetic
- material with pigs? As far as I understand it, there are now pigs whose
- genetic material is 99% compatible with ours.
- Yippee! Edible organ donors! Come and get yours....
- Only thing is, there was an article in the paper the other week that said
- people who had these implants had to sign an affidavit promising they'd
- never have children after the op. Seems that the genetic material and
- DNA/RNA strands are so compatible that kids born will have pig
- chracteristics. They just don't know what kind...
- It's just like science fiction, isn't it? Just grosser.
- What was that old saying, something along the lines of "truth being stranger than fiction"
- So I guess it wouldn't be kosher, or halaal, to eat such children? Oops.
- That dude in The Spy who Shagged Me would be happy though - spot of baby
- and eggs for breakfast?
- What I would like to know is how did they find out about this transfer
- of genes? Are there a number of slightly porcine looking children running
- around somewhere?
- As far as I understand it, there are no children (yet). Why they think there
- will be problems rest on the basics of cell growth and division: These new
- cells, containing different DNA and RNA strands that are not fully
- understood, are carried through the blood, living and mutiplying in every
- part of the body. These new cells are passed into the child.
- Thinking about it, as one's own genes would mutate through the mixing, I'll
- bet you that people who have these transplants will themselves eventually
- become porcine in some way. How could they help it? They're not entirely
- human anymore.
- I'd choose death over living with pig parts in me. Yuch.
- Don't they use pig heart valves in valve replacement operations? Or
- something like that? Me, I'd choose the pig over an untimely demise any
- time. On the genetic side, it's always risky experimenting with things that
- might have profound side effects, and I'd probably be nervous about having a
- gene splice from another human, never mind another /species/ :)
- Let's bear in mind though that of all the genes, relatively few are directly
- related to appearance. You could probably change lots of them before you
- risk growing a snout. 8=)
- The News 2025
- The effects of the pig gene replacement programs started
- at the end of the 20th century have had some rather
- unexpected results:
- Second quarter figures released by the food giant MacDonalds
- have shown that the introduction of MacSwill and Fettered
- MacLettuce have outsold all the traditional products.
- Pork farmers throughout the Mid West have turned to the US Army
- to help protect their live stock from the continued theft
- attempts of the Porcine Liberation Front. This new urban
- terrorist group is also holding large scale protests outside
- Ed's Cracklin factory in the hope of creating an awareness of
- the atrocities they are committing. Henry "Babe" Plunkett,
- president of the PLF says "I will not stop until my brothers
- may wear their skin without the fear of being burnt to a
- High school students are now spending more time rolling
- around in the mud than on the football field, research
- shows. Many students are apparently appalled at the idea
- of 'tossing the old pig skin around' and are boycotting
- the school football teams. Jim Adamson, head-coach for the
- Louisville Razorbacks says,
- "In my day the kids weren't so darn pig headed".
- [Alicia nods her head weakly, still shaking with laughter]
- Thanks for being a part of my world, Jeff!
- This just in: The PLF's legal representatives, Trotter & Sow, are
- considering instigating a class-action suit against Jim 'Wolf'
- Adamson for derogatory use of racially motivated hate speech.
Compiled by Ant Brooks (2000-09-20)
Recovered and uploaded to wiki by Bretton Vine (2005-11-04)